I didn’t know much about silk back then. I knew it would fade a bit so I used a good lining. They still faded to varying shades of champagne to very pale mossy green.
I’ve been wanting to dye these yards of silk but I came to understand that you have to use silk dye and I dye cotton. After a bit of searching I did find info on doing this. The only things that are different for silk is 1) use vinegar instead of soda ash to keep the sheen of the silk. and 2) the fabric has to be heated either on the stove or in the microwave.
This is the original fabric. It isn’t photographing true but it’s close.
The first sample is a “teal” mixture. I didn’t have the exact colors and just used what I had. I mixed 1/2 t. Royal Blue with 1/4 t. Yucca with 1/4C. water. Plus 1T. Salt with a bit of warm water.
This sample was arranged in a small container with no movement for the low water immersion method.
My other samples were done by wrapping with a rubber band and immersing into the dye mixture.
This first sample is just Lavender dye and salt
These next two were done the same: 3/4 t. Royal, 1/2 t. Scarlet, 1/2 t. Lemon.
The first sample is cotton. The second is silk.
I loosely followed Dharma Trading’s guide to dying silk and wool using vinegar and fiber reactive dyes
I used the microwave instead of cooking on the stove: 3 minutes, added vinegar, microwaved 1:30- I stopped because the mixes started boiling.
I rinsed and washed with professional textile detergent. I get all of my dyes, detergents and chemicals from Dharma Trading.
I’m excited to try out more colors and eventually make a bed quilt. I still don’t have one of my own!